Sunday, March 16, 2008

CanAm 2008

My sister and I made the annual journey to the CanAm show in London, Ontario this past Friday. We are always amazed at the number of friends and clients we run into every year, which seems to grow exponentially. I fear I would be a danger if I were a horse owner at this event with it's feast of all things horsey that can be bought. Happily, my only purchase was an Ariat one shouldered back pack, entirely practical and chartreuse in colour. Yes, not being a horse owner was definitely an asset. I was able to pass by the vendors with an apologetic smile and a shrug of the shoulders..."Sorry, don't have a horse..." as they pushed bridles, how-to books, horse trailers, and worming medicine at me.

We decided to buy tickets to the always entertaining Extravaganza in the evening. It was a bit rough around the edges compared to other years. The sound system went out for a bit, the lighting wasn't done well, a little girl fell off her pony when it bolted during the Haflinger breed demo, and one of the trick horses wasn't very cooperative. Nonetheless a few acts made up for it. My favourite again is the beautiful Andalusian stallion Acierto and his flamboyant owner, Laura Amandis. I think they were at their best this year. A new act this year was led by an Andalusian as well. This stunning white horse named Blanco is an equine actor, and was in 2 of the Lord of the Rings movies as Gangalf's mount, Shadowfax. He will also be in the upcoming Hercules movie. I think the crowd gasped in delight when he came out with wings on and galloped around the arena with his trainer dressed as a fairy in white. Magical!
























































No comments: