Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Saying goodbye to Brandy



It has taken me awhile to get around to this post as it is not something easily talked or written about. My family had to say goodbye to our beloved dog, Brandy, on July 10th.

My husband and others think I kept her alive too long, I think she did not live long enough, but in the end, on that last morning, she gave me a gift. She seemed content, she wanted to go for a walk to the park (she had been too sick to want to walk anywhere that last week). She rolled in the grass even putting her paw over her face like she did on so many occasions when she was feeling frisky. She did not cough that horrible cough of trying to get the fluid out of her lungs. Not that morning. I took as many photos of her in the morning light as time allowed. The only other family member I could convince to be with me was my youngest daughter, and I am grateful to her for being there for me while the clock ticked it's way to the dreaded appointment of 9:15 am. She wouldn't go to the vet's office but that was ok, that was something I needed to do alone.

I don't think I can write anymore about the end. As any of you know who have been there with a pet at that time, as you feel their life slip quietly away, it is one of the most difficult things to do, even if you are doing it for all the right reasons.

So thank you to Brandy, for giving us 7 beautiful years, I wish I had twice that time with you. Thank you to Pine Grove Veterinarian for taking care of her over the years, and for making the end so peaceful. Thank you to the Orillia OSPCA for bringing her into our lives, and especially Lori who has worked there for years, and convinced me a 4 year old dog was the perfect one to adopt. (I was back at the shelter the other day and chatted with her again, putting out feelers for another dog in my future...maybe...some day...).

Of course I also have to thank the bastards who mistreated her in her early years and messed her up so much, the ones who made her cower at first when we told her to "come". The ones who made her terrified of loud noises, fly swatters, brooms, etc. I do thank you for giving her up (and the second family who also returned her because she wouldn't come to you either when you let her loose). If either of you had had the patience to stick it out with her, train her, love her, we would not have been able to adopt her. Your loss....

We will never forget you Brandy.
You can see a slideshow of Brandy's life HERE . These are not the photos of a photographer, just the moment's captured by a smitten dog owner. (Sorry I'm not clever enough to add a soundtrack... but if you play Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" in the background, that would be my choice.



3 comments:

Valerie Boersma said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

Kelly said...

Losing a dog is never easy. Our 16 year old Lab passed away at the beginning of this year. I still expect to see her following me around when I take care of the horses.

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job in saying bye to Brandy.Shows how much she was olved aand is missed. They become a part of our family. Linda